Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why Park Close to the Door at the Gym?

Can anybody tell me why it's so important to park near the entrance at a gym? You would think that people going to the gym would find a few extra steps a good warm up or cool down for their exercise program, right? After all, they are there to exercise, right?  Parking close seems to defeat the purpose of exercise.

So, why do so many park in the accessible parking places at the gym? Are they short on time? Are they in a hurry to work out? Or, do they believe, like George Carlin did, that persons with disabilities don't go to the gym?

Truthfully, I always find it puzzling why so many people feel they are entitled to park in accessible spots. The excuses they give offer no clue:
·         I’m only going to be a few minutes.  (So?)
·         There were other handicapped spots available. (As long as you get one, what do you care?)
·         I didn’t know it was a handicapped spot. (Couldn’t see the little blue sign.)
·         I would have come out and moved if you told me you needed it. (Think about that one.)
·         I have a heart condition.  (Said while jogging away.)
·         Got more?

I think we should have a contest for the best excuse.

Back to the original question – why park near the door at the gym?  I can’t think of a good reason. Can you?

Annette Bourbonniere
401-846-1960
Fax:  401-846-1944
Twitter:  @AccessInclude


No comments:

Post a Comment